Between 1912 and 1914, Winchester completed projects to pave and install street lamps on Main Street. The brick streets and Great White Way drew statewide and national attention to Winchester, regarded then as one of the most progressive communities in the Commonwealth. This is the story of how those endeavors came to fruition.
For most of its history, Winchester residents traveled on unpaved streets that were at various times a dusty nuisance or muddy quagmire. The macadam streets, made of crushed, compacted rock, required constant, costly maintenance—spraying with water or oil to keep the dust down or filling in ruts and potholes. Problems escalated with the arrival of the automobile.
Cries from downtown merchants moved the city council to pass a brick street ordinance (1911). It called for property owners to pay for paving based on their street frontage. The plan included paving Main Street from French Avenue to the L&E bridge, as well as the Main cross streets for one block in both directions. The contract for Main Street went to Daniels, Lyste, and Douglas of Anderson, Indiana, on their bid of $35,555. Paving commenced in October 1912 and was completed in December of that year.
One issue that arose during construction had long-term consequences for the appearance of downtown. The steam plow excavating the roadbed between Broadway and Lexington Avenue left the east side of Main much higher than the street. The city planned to install four sets of steps to access the sidewalk. Merchants proposed an alternative for dealing with the “east side cliff.” They called for one long, continuous stretch of steps paralleling the sidewalk from Broadway to Lexington Avenue. These steps remained in place until the present High Side Project, now underway.
A side note: The Winchester Sun referred to the steps as running “along the East (or high) side of Main street.” This was the first appearance of the term we use today for the “High Side of Main.” I could not find the term in print again until the year 1980.
City fathers noted that the street in front of Union Depot was “in frightful condition.” They convinced the L&N and C&O railroads to pave Depot Street with brick. Today, this is the last section of brick paving (that I could find) left in Winchester.
For most of its history, downtown Winchester was essentially dark after the sun went down. In 1912, former Mayor John Garner proposed installing an electric lamp post in front of the People’s State Bank in the Brown-Proctoria Hotel. He placed an order for a three-globe lamp. However, upon learning that three globes were the symbol for a pawnbroker, he changed the order for a post with a cluster of five white globes.
Soon, the Commercial Club, merchants, and property owners began advocating for a project to light all of Main Street with lamp posts bearing the five-globe cluster, creating what they called a “Great White Way.” Merchants offered to pay for the light fixtures if the city would fund their operation. The city agreed. Wiring was installed on both sides of Main from Lexington Avenue to the depot, and 250 white globes were ordered.
Never miss a thing with our FREE weekly newsletter.
The globes were to be lit with magnetic arc lamps supplied by Kentucky Utilities. Arc lamps, invented by Sir Humphry Davy in 1809, burned more than a hundred times brighter than incandescent lamps. Arc lamps had long been the technology of choice for electric street lighting. The metal standards were manufactured locally at the Love Foundry on East Washington.
The Great White Way had its inaugural test on the night of January 3, 1914. A great crowd was on hand to witness the event. The lighting was greeted by much oo-ing and ah-ing, followed by an ovation from the spectators.
After World War II, the iconic lights began to disappear. State officials demanded more lumens along Main Street, so the old fixtures were replaced by modern street lights. One original lamp post still stands on the northwest corner of the courthouse square. It was donated to the city by descendants of James Love.
Five-globe lamps were reinstalled on Main Street as part of a downtown beautification project begun in 1982. The following November, forty new lamps were lighted before a parade witnessed by a crowd of nearly ten thousand, said to have been the largest gathering ever in downtown Winchester.
Photo gallery





